Toronto City Council approved a bylaw making it mandatory for property owners to disconnect their downspouts from the sewer system. The goal is to reduce the risk of basement flooding and decrease the release of polluted rainwater runoff into local waterways.
Downspouts in all areas of the City should be disconnect by December 3, 2016. If you have any questions about the bylaw requirements please contact our office or 311. Additional information about the mandatory downspout disconnection can be found at toronto.ca/downspout including:
- Important tips to consider before disconnecting
- Frequently asked questions
- Exemption application and sample forms
- Application for Financial Assistance
- Do-it-yourself information
- A video about Mandatory Downspout Disconnection